“Conchitas con carne” typically refers to a Mexican dish made with small pasta shells (conchitas) and beef (carne) cooked in a flavorful tomato-based sauce. It’s a comforting and hearty dish. Here’s a recipe to make conchitas con carne:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cups small pasta shells (conchitas)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 12 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Chopped fresh cilantro or parsley for garnish (optional)
1. Cook the Pasta:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta shells and cook according to the package instructions until they are al dente. Drain and set aside.
2. Brown the Ground Beef:
- In a large skillet or pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic. Sauté until the onion becomes translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the ground beef to the skillet and cook, breaking it apart with a spoon, until it’s browned and cooked through. Drain any excess fat if necessary.
3. Add Tomatoes and Sauce:
- Stir in the diced tomatoes (with their juice) and tomato sauce into the skillet with the cooked beef and onions.
- Add the ground cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Mix well to combine all the ingredients.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the skillet, and let the sauce simmer for about 10-15 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
4. Combine Pasta and Sauce:
- Add the cooked pasta shells to the skillet with the beef and tomato sauce. Stir everything together to ensure the pasta is well coated with the sauce.
- If the mixture seems too thick, you can add a bit of water or beef broth to reach your desired consistency.
5. Simmer and Serve:
- Allow the conchitas con carne to simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally, to heat everything through and let the flavors meld.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings if necessary, adding more salt, pepper, or spices as desired.
- Once everything is heated through and well combined, remove the skillet from the heat.
6. Garnish and Serve:
- If desired, garnish the conchitas con carne with chopped fresh cilantro or parsley before serving.
- Serve hot in individual bowls.
Conchitas con carne is a satisfying and flavorful dish that’s great for a family dinner or a comforting meal. Feel free to customize it by adding vegetables like bell peppers or corn for extra flavor and nutrition. Enjoy!